Thursday, February 16, 2012

Refinishing a 1935 Idealite POPEYE Lamp



This is my friend’s lamp and when he showed a picture of it to me I informed him that is was indeed repainted and the colors were all wrong. The lamp arrived at my home a few days later to be repainted and to be rewired so it was safe to actually plug in and use.







I removed all the paint from the lamp and repaired the two small holes I found near the feet.


I gave it two coats of primer to smooth out and imperfections in the metal.





I painted the white pants and collar, pipe yellow and the flesh areas first.

















Next I painted the lamp post and base. Then I painted his tattoos and the details of his face.



The shirt and hat and belt were next.


This is a makeshift version of the shade on the lamp that is only for effect here.



This is a picture of an original lamp from 1935.
Go here to learn the lyrics to Popeye's music ; http://theneitherworld.com/popeye/lyrics.htm

4 comments:

Cheryl said...

Nice job. Are you still using comcast email?

Cheryl

Anonymous said...

Hi, I need a lamp done having trouble getting you what is your email? Ryan

Unknown said...

yes

Unknown said...

I easier to get a hold of on facebook now